Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Giclée Prints!

My first art prints have arrived at my Etsy store! They are archival fine art Giclée prints.

The quality of these prints has exceeded my every expectation. One of the reasons I've been dragging my feet so long on prints is that I've always figured they're just never going to look good at all compared to an original painting. These prints have changed my opinion.

Synapsid Sunrise Giclée Prints

Synapsid Sunrise prints are 8 by 10 inches. The colors on this piece turned out incredible. In fact, I like the way the prints look better than the original painting now. I chose Arches Cold Press paper for these, which has a texture almost exactly like the original watercolor paper it was painted on.

Superspatial Sailfish Giclée Prints

The Superspatial Sailfish prints are 12 by 12 inches. As always seems to be the case with blues, there was some color shifting from the original scan, but they still turned out excellent. These are printed on Arches Cold Press paper as well. I'm really happy with how this piece looks with the square breathing space around it.

It took me a long time to come to a decision about who I was going to work with to make my prints. It's cheaper to get them online, but cost was not my only consideration. In the end, I went with a local print shop I already work with and trust - I'm supporting a local business and have a lot more control over the quality of my prints.

One of the drawbacks of having these printed in advance is that customers can't choose what size print they'd prefer. You can contact me at omegafauna@gmail.com or message me on Etsy if you're interested in a different size - so far, it's taken a week or less from the time I put in a print order to the time I have it in my hands.

1 comment: