Wednesday, January 4, 2012

The Eight Elemental Amphibians (of Sally Williams) - Panel #7

Panel #7

I saved panel #7 for last not only because it's probably my favorite out of all of them, but also because the photos turned out so well, including non-blurry close-ups. I've given some thought as to why this one is (maybe) most successful, and concluded (at least in part) that I was thinking the least about how this one would fit into the piece as a whole as I was working on it. For the others I was trying harder to incorporate certain colors or elements to fit the theme. Creating an installation that works together as a whole and as separate individual pieces is never quite as simple as it looks in my sketchbook. But, I really enjoy working this way and I think I'm improving at it.

Panel #7 (detail)

Panel #7 (detail)

Panel #7 (detail)

Panel #7 (detail)

Well, now you've seen all eight panels of the finished piece (or if you haven't, just take a look at the previous seven posts, or at this Flickr set).

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful series, Sharon. Beautiful combination of naturalistic painting with expressive abstract patterns. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, thanks so much Niroot! I'm always trying to mix illustrative drawing and linework with more loose, intuitive painting...not often very successfully.

    ReplyDelete