Saturday, November 26, 2011

The Brachio Wrap

Many of you have already seen this illustration, but here are some photos of the finished scarf/shawl in Spoonflower cotton voile.

Brachio Wrap

Brachio Wrap

I'm just starting to get a bit of a method down for taking photos of my fabric stuff, but it still takes dozens and dozens of shots for me to capture even one or two that will work. Even when the lighting and angles are ok, the model keeps ruining most of the photos with her gangly awkwardness. I really wish I could fire her but I don't have a replacement. I'm tempted to track down a mannequin, yet I think a real human body is always better for seeing how clothing and accessories look...no matter how unsuited this particular human is to be a model.

The edges of this piece were done as a rolled hem on a serger. You can see the rolled hem and the semi-transparent texture of the fabric in the photo below:

Brachio Wrap, detail

Cotton voile isn't the easiest fabric to work with and it took some effort to get it to work on the serger. It's not as bad as thin synthetic fabrics that like to unravel like mad (organza, I'm pointing at you), but more of a challenge than I expected from a cotton. The next sewing machine investment on my list is a hemming foot (similar to this one), which could possibly work better for finishing the edges on this type of fabric (and many others). It'll be nice to have another option to try so I can choose what looks the best going forward.

I finally broke down and bought a ruffler foot and a walking foot last week so I'll share my thoughts on those in an upcoming post, for anyone interested in sewing processes. Honestly, I had no idea there were so many specialized presser feet and accessories available for home sewing machines! I'm used to doing every step the old fashioned way - carefully measuring with a seam gauge and pressing every hem manually, creating skirt pleats/gathers by hand with a removable pull stitch, etc. The fine folks at Heirloom Creations have pointed me in the right direction now with some (hopefully) time-saving new feet for my trusty Viking, with the ultimate goal of streamlining the long process of getting from raw fabric to finished product. Though I love sewing, I love designing even more...so less time sewing means more time designing!

No comments:

Post a Comment