Friday, July 22, 2011

Photo Dump: Black Hills Trip

Though staring at fossils for our entire trip to the Black Hills would've been fine by me (see previous post), I did lots of other fun stuff while we were there:

Cabin

I stayed in a log cabin in Custer State Park for three nights.

Horseback Riding

I went horseback riding through mountain trails near Nemo, South Dakota.

Inside the Sky Dome

I visited Reptile Gardens.

Moluccan Cockatoo

I admired a Moluccan Cockatoo attempting to nap.

Giant Sea Turtle (Archelon ischyros)

I saw a cast of the giant sea turtle Archelon ischyros in the Sky Dome at Reptile Gardens.

Snake Show

I touched an albino Burmese Python. I promise I didn't push over any little kids to get up there.

African Grey

I talked with an African Grey.

Giant Tortoise

I touched and had my picture taken with a giant tortoise (either an Aldabra or Galapagos Tortoise; both were kept in this enclosure).

The Lists

I made a scene at Mount Rushmore with my mother-in-law's entire extended family.

Buffalo

I experienced a buffalo-caused traffic jam.

George W & Me

I posed by this giant bust of my favorite U.S. president.

South Dakota

I took some pictures of the prairie vistas I take for granted every day.

The rest of the photos from our trip can be found here.

Wait...was my delivery of the part about my favorite president too deadpan?

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful! Now I want to visit the Black Hills.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite thing about this area is the overall lack of people, if spending quality time with nature is your goal. Even in the height of tourist season the crowds are pretty tolerable.

    ReplyDelete