Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Fabric, Fabric, Fabric

Ptera-Island Fabric Sample

Ptera-Island Fabric Detail

My first large order of fabric arrived on Monday (15 yards). It's all quilting weight cotton. Everything looks GREAT! It's exciting to see the patterns in such large pieces...certainly a different level of impact than a little computer screen or small sample of fabric.

I'm relieved to see how Ptera-Island turned out printed. As I mentioned in a previous post, I was really nervous about that mustardy color, especially on this pattern since it's the background color. But I'm extremely happy with how it looks. I'm once again impressed by how similar it looks printed to how it appears on my screen.

I still can't get over the level of detail that comes through on the fabric. There seems to be a lot of concern among Spoonflower users about light linework on darker colors. So far I've had good luck with white and light colored lines. But, it does appear that light lines print looking about a point thinner than dark lines. Based on how this and my other patterns turned out, I would never use less than a 2 point stroke in a light color. I wouldn't go less than 1 point in a dark color. The lines are quite thin and delicate in those point sizes.

This batch of fabric is all washed, dried, and ironed now. It washed up well with just slight fading on the dark gray background of the Dimetrodon fabric. Let the sewing begin!

2 comments: