Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Work in Progress: Fabric Design

It's been a little crazy around here! Lots of blizzardy weather has made driving a nightmare, our cockatiel came down with a respiratory infection, and now I'm trying to fight off some kind of earache/stuffy head thing. So, focusing on homework has been a real struggle for the past week. But the weekend is looking great for catching up and I'm feeling optimistic.

"Pteranodots" preview

Above is a little peek at one project I'm working on: pattern design. I've been wanting to do something with repeating pattern forever, so I came up with a project to design a fabric line. I've also been itching to do something paleo-themed for some time, and I've noticed that nearly every fabric with prehistoric creatures is very clearly for children. My goal is to work out paleo patterns with a more sophisticated feel. Why should kids have all the fun?

All the patterns are still in rough stages of development and my color scheme is still unclear. But I'm really enjoying it! I'm calling the one above "Pteranodots" or "Pteranodotted." I tried to come up with cheesy plays on words for the concept of each design, but not all are turning out successfully so I might have to scrap some and have a few boring names. The herringbone pattern I'm trying to work out of a Herrerasaurus skeleton is proving pretty problematic. We'll see how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment